RE: non-tech techwr better for end users (was "same boat")

Subject: RE: non-tech techwr better for end users (was "same boat")
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:31:37 -0500

I like my users, oftentimes, I have no clue what they're asking me, but that
just leads me to the conclusion that I'm not paying close enough attention.
Why would anyone hate the users? Oftentimes, the user is a bit lazy, case
in point, I had to put together a usage guide for setting up our software to
be used via the Web. Now, there was a section in there that I went above
and beyond what should have been documented, regarding using 3rd-party
Websites' logos in either links or copying them directly to their server and
using them there. I made sure to put in VERY detailed instructions on how
to do this. Yet, wasn't it the case that I had a client come to me and say
they didn't know how to do it. They read the summary, SAW the text at the
end of the summary that said, "Scroll down for a detailed explanation..."
and ignored it. Instead, they came to our tech support staff, said that the
documentation didn't explain it well enough, tech support came to me, I sat
down with tech support, scrolled down, and well, the client actually sent in
an email saying well, how come it wasn't there before?

I pointed out that we were viewing the help that was ON their site. NOT a
new help file. The client likes me now.