RE: instructions

Subject: RE: instructions
From: "Diane Boos" <diane_boos -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:42:32 -0800

I'm one of the background lurkers most of the time, but I think that I can
make a positive contribution to this thread.

Background: My father was killed when I was 7; my mother had a nervous
breakdown when I was 9. There was no one else to help us so I did it. In
addition, I have 3 kids in their 30s and 3 grandkids, one 2 yrs old and 2 in
their late teens. Add to my qualifications that I have a minor in child
development. I can say "been there, done that" and really mean it.

I was cooking at 9 because I had to. I was perfectly capable of following
most recipes and instructions with little supervision. My kids were cooking
by 10; both of the older grandkids were cooking by that age. The 2 yr old
grandson already pushs the chair into the kitchen to watch and wants to help
cook.

More to the point, we're talking average kids here, not those who don't
understand safety or are irresponsible. I think we adults sometimes
underestimate kids very badly. Kraft however, has to pay attention to all
kids, and the parents, as well as lawyers who are sue happy.

Most kids 10 yrs old should be able to cook something like Kraft Mac &
Cheese mix. However, with the way people sue for nothing anymore, Kraft
would be very smart to make sure that their instructions were very clear.

That's where we tech writers come in isn't it?????