RE: instructions begin again

Subject: RE: instructions begin again
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:11:01 -0700

John Posada wrote:

I'm not even a parent. I guess you could say that I was responding to the
memory of the half
dozsen or so pre-teens that I'd had in back of my ambulance over a
period of time.

Response:

John,

Didn't you see just as many (or more) accidents involving bicycles? Do you
think that parents should wait until their children are in high school to
allow them to ride a bike? (TW tie in: I got a bike for Christmas a few
years ago, and there were warnings of death and dismemberment on every page!
I couldn't believe that I had been letting my children use one of these
death traps unsupervised! Shortly thereafter, my friend's 7-year-old did
have a bike accident that left him in a coma.)

Learning to cook is a necessary skill for independence. The alternative I
saw was to wait on my children like a servant until they the mood struck
them to start pitching in. (Yeah, right.) So when we moved into a big house
and I started a high-stress job, I held a family meeting and laid down the
following rules:

1. Everyone who eats cooks.
2. Everyone who wears clothes does laundry.
3. We all rotate chores.

My youngest was nine.

So everyone at my house cooks two meals a week. We all go shopping together,
and we each put the ingredients we need in the cart. We each clean up on our
cooking nights, too.

My children are 15 and 17. They probably don't know a split infinitive from
a dangling modifier, but they won't starve.

Salette Latas
salatas -at- micron -dot- com