Re: instructions

Subject: Re: instructions
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:18:09 -0800

As someone who is absolutely at a loss in the kitchen, I have to say that,

for me, following a recipe is awful. It always assumes some ability I simply
do not know about. At 39 years old, my stress in the kitchen, after all
these years of complete incompetence, is too much. I cannot cope with trying
anything other than the most simple things - scrambled eggs are about the
most I can manage. Thank God my husband can cook! Before he showed up, it
was pretty skinny around here. Still is when he is out of town but my
writers frequently pity me and feed me. Pretty nice group, if you ask me.

My mother was a great cook and tried to teach me. I had no interest and no
aptitude. My 22 year old son is learning to cook and I think he will do
well. His motivation is that girls like a man who can cook. We have all done
things for this reason!

To bring this on topic, recipe writing is indeed technical writing. Most
recipe books are so far over my head that I am sure I cannot be the intended
audience.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org