Re: instructions begin again

Subject: Re: instructions begin again
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:04:20 -0600

I think a fatalist would say it doesn't matter if you let him cross the street or not; if he's destined to be hit by a car he'll be hit by a car no matter what you do.

And as for whether John is overreacting based on his history... I think anyone who has *seen* what can go wrong, horribly wrong, is more likely to be concerned about it -- once you lose that "everything will be OK" attitude, it's hard to get it back. And this relates to tech writing because perhaps those instructions that include overwraught warnings of doom were inspired by actual events (or lawsuits based on events or near-events). Once bitten, twice shy, you know.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com> 01/03/01 02:59PM >>>
John, I think you're a fatalist. I have a girlfriend who doesn't think I should
let my 10 year old in a group of 10 year olds go 6 blocks from school, 2 blocks
from my house to the local community center with gym, and ice rink, foosball,
etc. It's run by the city and open from 2-6. The kids get out of school at 2PM.
My ex-husband doesn't think our 10 year old should cross a busy street (not
super busy, 2 lanes, north and south bound, probably a car every 2-3 minutes)
with a stop light unattended. Oy guvalt.