RE: Click here

Subject: RE: Click here
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:49:36 -0700

Jared Spool, a usability guru (http://world.std.com/~uieweb/), has what he
calls the "scent of information."

In a nutshell, effective links give the user an idea of where the link is
going to take them before they click on it. "Click here" by itself doesn't
do that.

When you add more text around it, it does give them more of an idea of where
the link might take them. However, it also makes the user read more than
they have to; this reduces the page's scanability particularly when you see
that everywhere. "Click here to" ends up distracting from the real
information that tells the user where the link takes them. Moreover, if they
are on the web, they know that they are going to have to click on it anyway,
so the "click here" text is redundant and doesn't add much.

A link as simple as "Top of Page" or "Navigation Tips" is all that is really
needed. It tells the user exactly what they need to know. Other navigational
cues such as the link colors and the hyperlink "finger" tell them it is a

hyperlink.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com