RE: Click here?

Subject: RE: Click here?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:40:12 -0800 (PST)

--- David Berg <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com> wrote:

> > In the context of using software that actually reads the web pages
> for the
> > visually impaired, the software compiles a list of links that are
> on that
> > page and reads it to the user. If there are three instances of
> > "click here"
> > or "more", how will that user be able to distinguish one link
> > from another?
>
> In this instance, you could use graphic buttons for the links, and
> provide
> alt text. Software that reads web pages for visually-impaired users
> reads
> the alt text for any graphic, and would naturally ignore the
> minimally
> descriptive text in the graphic.

You can also use the "title" attribute for links that do not use
graphics to add similar descriptive information for all users, not just
the visually impaired.

Another thought on "Click Here" that I don't think has been mentioned
because we're all being polite in this thread for some reason is that
using "Click here" instead of something more descriptive is bad
writing. Writing "For more information on XYZ, click here" is hardly
better. Make you links descriptive in the first place. Users need to
know what information is available at a link. They might not need to go
to it in all cases.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer