Re: Not everyone wants to work in UI design (was RE: When you really need to create a screen)

Subject: Re: Not everyone wants to work in UI design (was RE: When you really need to create a screen)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:27:36 -0800

Michele Marques wrote:

> Bruce Byfield suggested that some
> people don't want to face the challenge of UI design.

Not quite. I suggested that there are all sorts of different areas
that writers can expand into. UI design was only one of them.
Design, marketing, usability, and media relations are others. While
I can appreciate that not everyone wants to do all of these things,
most writers can probably find one or two of them that can enrich
their job.

> I've worked as a programmer. While my favourite aspect of programming was UI
> design, I would still rather be a writer. I'll leave UI design to those who
> prefer it.

I consider all these areas as either different types of writing, or
related to communication in general. Even UI design can be very
reminiscent of editing, with the repositioning of screen elements
and the selection of exactly the right term for buttons or menu
items.

As for preferences, I think you can take it for granted that most
people on this list are primarily writers, and, if faced with an
either-or choice, would choose writing.

For me, the whole point of this discussion is that it isn't an
either-or choice: you can add some enjoyment and variety to your job
without having to choose these alternatives over your main
profession.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Rationality itself, tied to moral decency - the most powerful joint
instrument for good that our planet has ever known."
-Stephen J. Gould, Introduction, "Why People Believe Weird Things"