Re: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users

Subject: Re: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:27:51 -0500

> > So before you all continue to "pooh, pooh" those of us with S-L-O-W
modems,
> > just wait. Someday you may have to live with older technology for a
while,
> > whether you want to or not. One CAN still produce quality work on an
older
> > system. It just takes a bit more patience.
and info.

I am one living with a mix of up to date and not up to date technology.
I am running an IBM Pentium I and a Compaq Pentium II
computers, both with 56k modems, but the IBM is much faster logging on and
downloading the mail than the Compaq. Practically, the difference is
insignificant, and there is nothing about my work that would be greatly
improved by going to the latest, high-speed chips. Perhaps for those of us
who do the most ordinary, mundane chores every day, we have long since
reached the point of diminishing returns.
In a corner of my office, stands my HP IIP laser printer, for which I
reluctantly planked down over $1,000 at the time they were the latest and
least expensive laser printers. It worked faithfully for a time (I can't
recall for how long), cost me nearly $300 in repairs, and would have cost me
at least as much more if I had not improvised makeshift repairs to plastic
mechanical parts that did not hold up.
On the other hand, I bought the HP 670C about three years ago, when I
bought to IBM Aptiva and retired the laser printer. It cost $200, has run
flawlessly, and is still in as-new condition.
I keep promising myself to buy a Pentium III or faster new computer, but
I am having more and more difficulty in convincing myself that it makes good
sense. - Herm