RE: Contests for Technical Documentation?

Subject: RE: Contests for Technical Documentation?
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:09:22 -0700

Bruce writes:
> Or is there another reason for entering a contest that I haven't
> thought about?

1. The personal reasons of putting it on your resume:

STC award of merit, or whatever for manual design 19xx

2. Though you have thought about it, companies DO use the term award-winning
documentation in ads, etc.

Two companies I have worked for (OptImage and Microware) were both very
proud of their documentation as it often was the difference in winning large
contracts. All of the advertising for specific products with the award
winning docs included some statement about the award.

In one case, OptImage got the Awesome review (equivalent to *****) for its
CD-burning software docs from some Media magazine. The review status went
into the advertising lit as well (with a little sticker on the box).

You don't usually see this sort of thing with docs, I'll grant you. Usually
its just the software that get the awards or reviews (four mice, etc.). And
you do see that everywhere.

I think STC is a fairly good measure of current design and craft and an
award of excellence or higher (international competition) is a good measure
of the document. The judges are not always the best, but like the Nebula, it
is a judgment of our peers. And I do buy books based on winning the Nebula.

My .02
walden