Re: HTML help and multi-tasking

Subject: Re: HTML help and multi-tasking
From: "Clayton Bennett" <cjbennett -at- qwest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:17:28 -0600

Bryan wrote:

>> Several times lately I have clicked on the help menu of an application (some
not even Internet-related applications) to find my browser suddenly leaving
what I was doing and opening HTML help. (Bryan)

Then Julie Shannon wrote:

> I certainly don't want to create documentation that is going to anger readers
as soon as it opens.

> If I am not mistaken, there is a way to "open a new window" when calling an
HTML file, is there not? Would this be useful? Or would it lead to multiple
instances of Help being open on a desktop? Hmmmm....

And I add:

Developers at a client company install a small, separate HTML browser with
their application help systems. When a user searches for something in the
help system, which is kept in HTML, this mini-browser opens instead of
another dedicated application, such as Internet Explorer or Netscape
Navigator. On the Mac, they could do this by specifying the creator and file
types, but I'm not sure how they do it for Windows.

Does that help?

-- Clayton Bennett
cjbennett -at- qwest -dot- net