reviewing <ptui>

Subject: reviewing <ptui>
From: beverly_robinson -at- datacard -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:57:47 -0600

I hope my suggestions aren't too late to help (I have digest lag). To
review, Jane Carnall's SME failed to review several large chapters because
Jane had made "too many changes".

I agree with previous posters that you should stand your ground and push
for publishing your edited version of the text. I also agree that this is
really the project manager's decision (and your manager's place to stand up
for you). But maybe you can steer the discussion and decision in the right
direction with some alternatives:

1. Is the original SME the only person in the company qualified to review
the text? Perhaps someone else (someone more objective about how many
changes are "too many") could review the heretofore unreviewed chapters?
Perhaps the project leader himself?

2. Examine the chapters the SME did review. Did the SME have to correct
many technical errors you made in your edit? If not, perhaps it's worth the
risk to publish your version without a review. (How many errors are too
many, how significant they were, and how much risk is too much risk are all
fuzzy concepts, but as Geoff Hart says, that's why they get the big bucks.)

Let us know how this turns out. Best of luck,

Beverly