Re: How do you say "12 o' clock" in a manual?

Subject: Re: How do you say "12 o' clock" in a manual?
From: "S. Vaughan" <suzanna_v -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:04:46 -0500

I'm going to add my 2 cents to this discussion.

"If they're European (and particularly French),using the 24-hour clock would be a perfectly appropriate choice."

This statement is true. However, Europe is not the only place where the 24-hour clock is used. It is also predominant in Latin America (including Mexico) and Quebec (especially among the Francophones).

"...12 AM could be either noon or midnight, depending on how you look at these things..."

When did the English language change 12 AM to mean "noon". Anyway, I digress...

If you're writing a publication for international distribution, you have to consider details such as these. If your pub is being translated, your translators should be aware of such issues as well.

Suzanne

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.