Re: Nit picky grammar question

Subject: Re: Nit picky grammar question
From: "Chuck Martin" <twriter -at- sonic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:50:13 -0800

I think there is a point being missed in this thread. While grammar may be
full of rules, some flexible and some not so felxible, and while people may
argue over the applicaiton of both sets of rules, grammar is also about
"ear."

That doesn't mean anything that sounds "right" is good grammar. But good
grammar generally does have good "ear," while "correct" grammar sometimes
does not. (An excellent book that espouses considering "ear" when
considering grammitical issues is Lyn Dupre's "Bugs in Writing."

Making sure this thread has a tech writing bent, three are also audience
considerations. Who are your readers, and will a sentence that doens't have
good "ear" cause a stumble in the reading and perhaps lead to the real
mesage being missed? Does forcing an "is" because a dictionary imples that
"heaquarters" is singular results in readers doing a mental double take
because thier experience suggests that with the "s" that an "are" should
have been used?

Most grammar books don't take "ear" into account, and are often prescriptive
at the cost of stilted or verbose language. We as technical communicators
have as one responsiblity to make sure that the message isn't being muddied
by the allegedly inflexible rules of composing that mesage.

--
"[Programmers] cannot successfully be asked to design for users
because...inevitably, they will make judgments based on the

Chuck Martin
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com