Learning FrameMaker

Subject: Learning FrameMaker
From: "Layna Andersen" <layna -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:06:16 -0800

Just a little intro -- I'm coming back to the list after being
unsubbed for a year or so, and it's nice to see some of the same folks
who I remember before, as well as new people! I'm a tech writer living
on Seattle's east side, currently looking for my next job or
assignment after taking a break and traveling over the holidays. I've
worked for 2-1/2 years, and really love the field.

During my week of job-hunting, it's become clear to me that I need to
learn FrameMaker -- seems like everyone out here is asking for it.
Considering that Adobe is located in Seattle, I thought there would be
plenty of places offering classes -- wrong! It looks like my options
are to wait until March, drive to Portland, or fly to San Francisco
for three-day classes, to buy the program and Adobe's "Classroom in
a Book" and teach myself, or to borrow version 5.0 from a friend and
get the book and just play with it and figure it out.

How did people here learn FrameMaker? How hard is it likely to be for
someone with lots of Word experience? Is 5.0 different enough from the
current one that learning from it isn't going to help me much? Can
anyone recommend a particular class or maybe some kind of distance
learning?

Thanks!

Layna