Framemaker, Word and Robohelp

Subject: Framemaker, Word and Robohelp
From: "Eichelberger, Mark C. -AFTECH" <EichelbergerM -at- AFTECH -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:26:03 -0500

Hi folks, this is my first posting to TECHWR-L, so forgive me if I make a
few first time errors. I have searched the archives help on my issue, but
what I found was somewhat confusing, so I figured I would post my scenario
to the list and see what came back.

We are currently using Word 2000 to create source documents which are then
converted to Adobe PDF format for distribution to clients via CD-ROM. In
addition, we use RoboHelp Office 2000 to create WinHelp files from the Word
documents for use in our company's Windows based software application.

Due to the many problems we have working with lengthy Word documents, we are
considering a proposal to upper management that we move to Framemaker.
Everything I have read so far from articles, peers and newsgroup postings
indicates that Framemaker is better suited to the creation of long, complex
manuals with TOCs, indexes, hyperlinks, etc. (which pretty much describes
our documentation). However, I am concerned that we may not be able to use
RoboHelp 2000 to generate our Window Help files from the Framemaker files as
we currently do with our Word documents. Does anyone know if this is
possible with RoboHelp 2000? My fear is that I may have to convince the
management to purchase both Framemaker and another help authoring tool. If
so, I can probably forget about writing that proposal...

Thanks,
Mark Eichelberger
eichelbergerm -at- aftech -dot- com
18 Great Valley Parkway