Re: For Hardware TWs - a question

Subject: Re: For Hardware TWs - a question
From: randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- powerconv -dot- alstom -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:54:52 -0800

SNIP>
Normally I document software but a new project involves revising all docs
for a hardware-based product. In the existing User Guide, near the very
front of the book, there's a page called "Declaration of Conformity". It's a
form, of sorts, filled out and signed by a QA engineer in our company.
My questions: What is this? And is this an appropriate place for it?
Anything that will increase my knowledge about writing for a hardware (with
some software) product would be great.
SNIP>

The form tells the customer that the product has passed in-house QA standards,
just before shipping, as stated on the form. We do not place these in our
manuals. The reason we don't is simple; most of our customers keep the form
filed away in some dusty cabinet with the sales order and warranty. The manual
is used on "the shop floor." Keeping them separate is the only way to keep the
form from being lost. The form is only useful to our customers in warranty
issues and initial set-up issues.

Your customers may have different needs. Some research on your part is in order.
Find out what the customer's needs are involving this form. Make the choice
after you know what the usage is. As I see with most things in tech writing;
know your users and adjust to them.

Randall Larson-Maynard
Technical Writer
Alstom Schilling Robotics
Davis, CA, USA
randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- powerconv -dot- alstom -dot- com
http://www.schilling.com