Best remote tools for tech. writing

Subject: Best remote tools for tech. writing
From: "Jim Lowry" <lowry_j -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:02:26 -0500

I'm a tech writer who's planning to set up a home office after my wife and I move away from the New York area. I would like to work remotely, on a project basis, as much as possible.

I was hoping that you among us who work remotely could tell me what you found to be the most useful and sought after tools and skills that employers look for when they hire writers/web content developers remotely.

I know this is kind of a open-ended question, but I'm wondering if it's worth my time to get some training in New York along the lines of, say, Flash, XML, Java-script, et. al. before making the move.

Currently, the main tools I currently use are WORD, Frame & Front Page. Been at it for about 5 years now doing sys. adm. manuals and maintaining departmental websites.

My thanks in advance.

Jim Lowry
Brooklyn, NY

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.