RE: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: RE: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:37:11 -0500

Non-technical writers may do very well in marketing, but when times get
tough, marketing gets laid off ahead of the tech writers. It's considered
even more expendable than documentation. I got laid off three times during
my 12 years in marketing. In tech writing I was laid off once, and had a
new job in a week. I'm not a particularly techie tech writer, but I do
learn my industries, and offer a wider set of skills. Been extremely useful
in smaller companies. But ceilings are created by management mindset, and
continue to exist because of preconceptions. Expand into areas such as
usability and information architecture, and you can raise that ceiling by a
couple of floors. Continue to stick with the "writer only" mindset, and you
limit yourself.

MTC

Connie Giordano
facing eternal damnation either way!