Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:58:06 -0600

This exact situation happened to a woman at a company where I was contracting.
It so happened, she knew the software program better than almost anyone there,
but they didn't appreciate her or reward her adequately. Fed up, she found
another, better, job, and gave notice. Panic. Complete and utter panic. They
hauled her in, made all sorts of promises, offered to raise her salary to three
or four times its current level. Greed almost worked, but then she suddenly
reflected: why is it I'm worth all this money only now when I've given notice?
Then she got mad, stuck to her guns, and accepted the other offer - even though
it was for considerably less money than her current employer's last offer.

I always felt she made a wise choice: they would have milked her for her
knowledge, then found some excuse to ditch her.

Jo Byrd