Re: Source Code Documentation Systems?

Subject: Re: Source Code Documentation Systems?
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:42:38 -0600

I come across ads here and there for these systems, marketed to
developers, which typically claim to find objects and comments in source
code (Java, C, C++), create some kind of documentation based on these
and output to RTF, HTML, HTML help.

Has anyone ever worked with systems like these, or had to write actual
user material from the output they generate? I'm wondering how useful
these systems might be for creating user documents. Especially if they
are outputting to help, it would seem that's what they are trying to do.

Michael,

Javadoc, provided as part of the JDK package does this. To be sure, it is very valuable when you want to document the classes, objects, variables, methods, behavoirs, etc. It doesn't write much. It is more like a smart concordance generator, or index generator.

You still have to write context and meaning into the docuement.

I am currently doing reverse engineering at my present position to create a functional description of our software. Using Javadoc only gets me 10% of the way. And the developers quite frankly could and do do this on their own. My documentation goes deeper, into the functional relationships, who does what to whom, and why.

There is no software that will automatically do that.

Scott

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.