Re: Technical Writers who write functional specifications

Subject: Re: Technical Writers who write functional specifications
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:41:04 -0500

I agree, first of all, I agree that when I accept my employer's dollar,
he has the right to expect me to do any chores that help him and his
business survive. However, I think the ability to write specifications of
any kind is one of the most valuable skills one can have. If you gain this
skill while on a job, you have gotten a great reward, acquiring a skill of
great value.

For one, this skill is at the heart of being able to undertake contracts
with full project responsibility: it enables you to write a proper contract
with full contract protection for whichever end of the contract you
represent. That enables you to define requirements and settle contract
disputes. That immediately elevates your techncical skills to those of
technical management.

I would recommend an eager acceptance of the opportunity to acquire this
skill. - Herm

> re: Maybe I'm too obliging, but I've generally taken the position that a
> technical writer's job is whatever I'm asked to do.

herm-subscribe -at- Topica -dot- com/ or go to
http://www.topica.com/lists/herm.