RE: Web site or website

Subject: RE: Web site or website
From: Mandy Wells <mwells -at- valadeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:16:22 -0500

> From: Donna Horowitz [mailto:horowit -at- en -dot- com]
> Subject: Web site or website
>
> What's the preferred use for this among our tech whirlers:
>
> Web site

Since the topic is being discussed...

My CEO recently rationalized our corporate change from "Web site" to "web
site"--over my objections that it was grammatically and morally wrong (and
I'd have to change all of my docs)--and trumped my objections by saying that
William Safire of the New York Times had written in one of his columns that
lower-case was the way to go.

I immediately did a search for the column, but couldn't find anything
specific. Since it was a Friday evening (and since the CEO signs the
cheques) I grudgingly let it drop, but I'd still like to know whether Safire
actually did condone "web", or if the CEO was just trying to get me to quit
my yapping about a fairly irrelevant topic...you can see how well that's
worked.

Has anyone read this article?

Determinedly, Doggedly, Dogmatically,
Mandy