Re: How do you edit your own writing?

Subject: Re: How do you edit your own writing?
From: maggie -at- parasoft -dot- com (Maggie Secara)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:24:39 -0800

At 04:26 PM 1/24/2001 -0500, Sanjay Srikonda wrote:

I have a question for the TWs out there who are also tasked with editing
their own writing. I've attempted to pass what I write by SMEs and the like
to at least to have a second set of eyes, but oftentimes, beyond the
technical corrections, I don't often get any feedback into the style or
grammar, even spelling (homonym use).

Does anyone have any good techniques for editing your own work?

TIA,

sanjay

Mostly, your SMEs are experts in their subject matter as you are in yours. Be thankful they don't attempt to correct your grammar.

One thing that works when I have to check my own spelling and usage is to read the whole thing backwards, or at least each page,from bottom to top. Scanning in reverse removes the context, and gives you that fresh viewpoint you need. There will still be something you don't catch until it comes back from the printer, but there will be a lot fewer of them!

Maggie Secara

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.