RE: [HATT] Re: How do you edit your own writing?: recap

Subject: RE: [HATT] Re: How do you edit your own writing?: recap
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:41:24 -0500

Thank you all

the suggeestions were (in no particular order, and please feel free to add
them as you see fit if I've missed any):

1. Leave it for a few days, come back to it
2. Read it aloud
3. Read it backwards
4. Have someone else read it
5. Have someone from the STC (a writer's group) read it
6. Have a professional editor read it
7. Have a professional proofreader read it
8. Don't do it yourself

All the suggestions are great. Thank you. Most of the techniques I WILL
use. Some are just not feasible as my company is not willing to pay for a
TE or for me to send it out for proofreading or outside editing.

I've noticed a trend recently, going on interviews for various positions.
When the question comes up, usually in smaller companies who are starting a
documentation effort for the first time, I sometimes ask what are the plans
to hire a Technical Editor. Invariably the interviewer looks at me
quizzically and says, "Isn't that your job?" How many of you have found
this to be the belief among companies that a Technical Writer is also
expected to be the Technical Editor.

TIA,

sanjay