Re: TWs and their work tools!

Subject: Re: TWs and their work tools!
From: jkajpust -at- concentric -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:20:48 -0500

I'm in the same boat. This Friday, they -- it's alway them -- wanted a
Web page converted to a PDF with a few text changes. I have three
computers sitting at my desk and ended up going home to get my
laptop and Acrobat 4 to do the job.

I always keep a small tool kit in my desk to fix stuff. Rather than wait
three weeks for the hardware guys to tighten a keyboard mount, I
just grab my screwdriver and do it myself.

As far as the legalities go, while not a lawyer, I would think as long
as it's your legal software and you turn the end result over to the
company they can use it. After all you're just saving yourself effort
by doing it with more efficient tools.

As far as backups go, I have e-mailed copies of my work to my
home e-mail account just to make sure I have something floating
around in case my work machine crashes.

> My solution: I have started using my own laptop and software to get the
> job done.
> Q1) Does any one else, other than teleworkerkes or home based contractors,
> find this sort of practice necessary?
> Q2) As well as a PC and software, what other personal stuff do people find
> themselves using/needing on a regular basis?

Jim Kajpust - Personal Responsibility - Personal Freedoms
Michigan - http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust