RE: Any self-published authors out there? (long)

Subject: RE: Any self-published authors out there? (long)
From: "McDonald, Nancy A." <NMcDonal -at- wcom -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:48:43 -0500

a local press here in Columbus Ohio, called Greyden Press. They press quite
a few textbooks, a sort of "subcontractor" (don't know the actual title they
call themselves...) for McGraw Hill, Glencoe, et al....

My first experience w/ them was through an academic author who
wanted me to design the book and get it pressed (via an educational research
grant, etc).. so I did all the work to get the book ready for pressing, and
Greyden pressed a total of, maybe 50 books... (since then that book has been
"evolved" into another publisher, but that's an academically convoluted
story about research and non-profit issues.) Nevermind about that. But
Greyden and I developed a relationship whereby various authors needed to get
their books ready for press, and I would get the editing, proofing,
formatting, and postscripting ready. It would be up to the author to
distribute. This is simply a press, not a publication house.

I have also been impressed by a book I read years ago written by
Dorothy Bryant, in San Francisco.... who has written (I think her most
famous) "The Kin of Ata are Waiting For You". She has also written a book
called "Writing a Novel" (if I recall) where she described the horrors of
self-publishing... I think she has since created her own press, or
something like that. Her works are mainly fiction and playwriting, but I
think some of this information is somewhat related to any writing
business... it's a matter of finding the publishing house, or press, and
then how one would get the book distributed. (She talked about the
difficulties of convincing book stores to put the books up for sale, too.)

hth..
Nancy McDonald