RE: Telecrastinating

Subject: RE: Telecrastinating
From: "Wally Glassett" <wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:33:56 -0800

Elna wrote:
> Andrew's statement that most people sit around and procrastinate is just
> plain a
> lie.

Andrew replied (?):
>It isn't a lie. Its human nature.

I say that my productivity when working out of my soho, on an appropriate
task, is nearly double that of working in 'cubeland.' At my soho I have
*space* that I can configure quickly for whatever I'm doing. I can layout
lots of books, print outs, notes, charts, or etc. while I work. I can
configure multiple monitors so I really can have multiple things going on
with my PCs (plural) at the same time when the tasks call for that. I don't
get interrupted with office or political gossip. When I'm in tele-meetings I
can go on the speaker and keep right on working - even bring things up on
the PC instantly to support the meeting. I don't have to go to the other end
of the building to retrieve printout. No one asks me how to find the
restrooms. No one asks me if we're getting donuts (?) or bagels today. No
one asks me to sign up for this, that or the other thing. I can roll out of
the sack, put on some grubbies (clean), make the coffee, and be at work
10-15 minutes after my eyes open. I don't have to drive around buildings
looking for a parking place when I finally do get there after 1 1/2 hours of
commuting traffic. I can work on anything I need to at any time of the day
or night.

I realize that some people don't like that kind of isolation and wouldn't
thrive in/on it, but, folks, that's pretty much how I got through grad
school and those kinds of independent work habits may have been the most
important things I learned there - sure wasn't the FORTRAN...

Wally Glassett
Tech Doc-It, Inc.
wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net <mailto:wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>