FWD: RE: Break into telecommuting

Subject: FWD: RE: Break into telecommuting
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:05:21 -0700 (MST)

It's funny. In our office, we have one person in our department who is
clearly never productive and has been running a freelance business from
their cube. This person was refused the option for telecommuting, but
nothing else is being done to remedy the situation.

Another person has telecommuted 2 days a week, since day 1 (not so long
ago). This person flaunts that they don't do very much work when they are
home. And, they are clearly not always in touch. When they are in the
office, they make personal calls for a large part of the day, have a
limited attention span and often need to leave due to personal
issues. However, they have somehow convinced people that they contribute a
lot just because they are technical and participate 25% of the time. Yet,
nothing is being done to remedy this situation.

A third person broke the telecommuting wall when the previous person came
on board and also telecommutes 2 days a week, and is more responsive than
people who are in the office. This person is clearly in touch and working.

So, what does this tell you? I think it's about the telecommuter's work
ethic, priorities, internal motivation and respect for their team members
and company. And, I think it is about having a strong, but fair manager
who is willing to create the opportunity, but who is also not afraid to
manage it well and if necessary, end the situation.

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.