RE: FrameMaker - RIP?

Subject: RE: FrameMaker - RIP?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:38:38 -0500

Are you serious?

This rumor has been on-going for years. Question: will we die. Answer:
everyone dies eventually. No one involved in the process of creating the
next release of FrameMaker can talk aboiut it because of NDAs. However,
Adobe reps have talked about the planning and move towards a FrameMaker 7.
Will that be the last version? Who knows, but given FrameMaker's development
cycle, that's at least another 4 years of productivity. And, Ventura and
Interleaf users suffer the same rumors . . . maybe not the MS Word folks,
but they are still listening to rumors about fixes for Master Docs, list
numbering, and the like . . ..

What FrameMaker+SGML in particular (and FrameMaker 7 reportedly) is
positioned for is a move to XML, should XML ever mean anything to
publishing. In any event, a tool is just a tool. If FrameMaker or Word or
Ventura or Interleaf goes away in 4,6, 8, or 10 years, just apply your
skills to the new tool-du-jour.

BTW, why do we need to "beat some sense into Adobe"? I doubt they started
the rumor.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com