RE: Telecommuting (unforeseen benefit of)

Subject: RE: Telecommuting (unforeseen benefit of)
From: Ken Bowes <KBowes -at- dacg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:03:00 -0600

And I thought I was having a bad day!!!

Ken Bowes

Hope everything turns out Ok. (And thanks for the checklist of items to
pick up in case of an emergency!) Faced with a similar situation not so
long ago, it is surprising how many times one changes ones mind between
discovering the flames to getting to the front door)

<I asked to work from home today so I wouldn't have to celebrate turning 30
in the corporate world. Well, sort of not.

Anyway, I'm typing away at home, when I see a nearly naked man approach our
place. Pounding on our door, he is clothed only in a towel, and is standing
on nice Iowan ice with bare feet.

Turns out, he is one of several people who live in the duplex next door, the
duplex has gone up in flames, his girlfriend fell out of the third-story
window, etc., etc. My fiance and I try to find him some clothes to put on
so he won't freeze to death, so he can talk to the officials, etc.

We are told to evacuate. We throw on clothes (I was telecommuting so you
know what I was wearing.), call the landlord, round up our house's menagerie
of two cats and three dogs, grab the birthday $ stash, and run out onto the
icy pavement into a sea of reporters asking for comment, hungry for a photo
shoot of us and our panicked animals. Meanwhile, across the street, the
head of the Neighborhood Association stared out from behind her closed door
at all of the temporarily homeless.

It's hours later now, but with smoke still coming from the house, rescue
vehicles still are all here. It looks as though everyone is okay, but
housing for all is at best tentative. I tell you all this because the whole
ordeal made me realize the fortune of our being here, being able to help to
some degree, being able to ensure all creatures were safe, and so on.

Of course, I didn't get my work done, but I was a little distracted. I
guess some people might call it telecrastinating?>