Re: Finding a good job title

Subject: Re: Finding a good job title
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:43:18 -0600

Sweeping statements, Bruce, but I guess you know more TWs and programmers than I do. :-) Maybe, then, TWs suffer from the "anyone can write, so what's so darn special about you?" bias, and are therefore more likely to have to lean on a high-falutin' job title when dealing with Those Who Don't Know Any Better, while programmers don't generally have that handicap.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> It could be that tech writers themselves don't necessarily care but they know the rest of the world cares. Perhaps, once you've been turned down for a job because you haven't been a "senior writer" yet, you decide that since titles matter to somebody, they might as well matter to you.
>
> (just a hypothesis; I have neither been there nor done that)

I know that titles matter to the outside world; that's why I use
them in my sig line.

But, the point is, no other high tech job seems to chase after
titles the way that tech writers do. Programmers might like to be
team leaders or CTOs, but they don't worry much about titles.
Web-designers like fanciful names like "ibuilder" instead of
"webmaster," but, these titles seem as much a joke as anything else.
The insecurity seems a unique one.