Re: HTML Help vs. WinHelp

Subject: Re: HTML Help vs. WinHelp
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 17:50:58 -0500

"Davis, Michele" wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about the differences in coding HTML Help and
> WinHelp to a GUI? The other GUI's I've worked on used HTML Help and it
> wasn't an issue.

I think maybe you have run into a classic case of "better the devil we
know." Programmers are sometimes resistant to trying something new and
unknown if they are comfortable with what they are currently using.

The HTML Help API has more capabilities than the WinHelp API, but
there's no law that says you have to use all of them. For existing
programs, it's mainly a matter of replacing WinHelp calls with HTML Help
calls.

If your developers are using something other than Microsoft development
products, they may need to obtain a translation of the API for their
development system if the product was not shipped with one. These
translations are available on the internet for free.

Lin
--
Linda K Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>