RE: Word Help -- Page numbering in Word 2000

Subject: RE: Word Help -- Page numbering in Word 2000
From: "Pitt, Julie" <julie -dot- pitt -at- digex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:50:51 -0500

*--Apologies if someone else has already posted this answer--*

Marsha Lofthouse's cow-orker is having page numbering problems in Word:
<snippage>
I am using the page 'x of y' format in my footer, and as I stated above, the
numbering looks good onscreen (i.e., 1 of 24; 2 of 24; etc.). But when I
print, I get: 1 of 1; 2 of 2, etc.
<snippage>

And Dannette Thompson replied:
Is your co-worker using Word 2000? There seems to be a bug with the "number
of pages" field in Word 2000. It's fixed by installing the latest Service
Pack, but that same Service Pack also drastically affects your ability to
receive attachments in Outlook. So it's a catch-22. Guess you just have to
figure out which is most important to you!

Me here:
It IS a bug, but you don't need the service pack to fix it. If you toggle
the "Show/Hide Paragraphs" button so that paragraph marks (and other
non-printing characters) are hidden, the numbering should print correctly. I
found this solution either on the WORD-PC mailing list* or somewhere on the
Microsoft site.

*As mentioned by others here, this is a helpful resource for problems with
Word. To join, go to

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/CGI-BIN/WA.EXE?SUBED1=word-pc&A=1

If the above link doesn't work, go to the WORD-PC archives page at

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/word-pc.html

and select "Join or leave the list"

HTH

Julie

| Julie Pitt Digex, Inc. |
| ISO Implementation Coordinator One Digex Plaza |
| Digex Consulting Beltsville, MD 20705 |
| Julie -dot- Pitt -at- Digex -dot- com http://www.digex.com |