SUMMARY: How (un)popular is JavaHelp?

Subject: SUMMARY: How (un)popular is JavaHelp?
From: John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:31:25 -0800

John Wilcox wrote:

> Since having to start doing JavaHelp about six months ago, I've found that it's
> not very popular yet -- certainly not as popular as the Java programming
> language is becoming. I'm trying to get a feel for just how many tech writers
> are actually doing JavaHelp projects and their opinions about JavaHelp. If you
> are a tech writer doing JavaHelp, would you please be so kind as to send me a
> short note off-list? Just an "I am and I like it" or whatever would do. I'll
> summarize my findings to the list. Thanks very much for your time.
>
> This is cross-posted to HATT, TECHWR-l, STCLWRSIG-L, and WWPusers, so please
> also tell me the list(s) you are on, so I can summarize accurately for each
> list.

I received input from 25 tech writers who are in the process of or have
recently done JavaHelp projects and from 3 others who said they would be
starting in the near future. 9 responses gave mostly a positive view
of JavaHelp, 16 negative. I didn't query the JAVAHELP-INTEREST list,
but I know there are some TWs on it. I also neglected to post my query
to the TECHCOMM list. And I'm sure there are programmers
who are doing JavaHelp, too. Many respondents didn't mention which
list(s) they got my message on, so I can't give specific numbers for
each list, but considering that there are some 5,000 subscribers to the
4 lists I queried, I think it's safe to say that JH is not at all
popular
among TWs. However, knowing also that few TWs have decision-making
responsibility when it comes to development tools, and that Java
continues to increase in popularity among programmers, I think it's also
safe to say that JavaHelp will need to be reckoned with by more and more
TWs.

--
Regards,
John Wilcox - Senior Technical Writer, TCSI, Seattle