RE: Consultant vs. Contractor

Subject: RE: Consultant vs. Contractor
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:16:49 -0800 (PST)

> A consultant has a head the size of two football
> fields and constantly
> reminds you of the wealth of knowledge and
> experience that they have over
> you. Then when they get fired for not performing as
> a consultant, you never
> hear from them, or of them, ever again. Life is
> bliss.
>
> A contractor is someone with a head the size of
> 1/10th the football field,
> that comes in and fixes up all the crap that someone
> who quits the company
> has created to wreak havoc upon the employees. They
> usually don't get fired.
> They are usually asked to become employees of the
> company, but refuse due to
> the fact that they like being slightly independent.
> And love avoiding a
> company's internal politics.

Huh. Then by your definition a permanent employee is
someone who walks on water and knows a good deal about
their profession, gets their work done in a reasonable
timeframe, and only causes problems on the way out the
door?

I've been all three (full timer, consultant, and
contractor). I've always put my best foot forward in
anything and everything I do, and I get involved in
anything, whenever I feel the need. I didn't
appreciate the descriptions you provided above. If you
have problems with certain contractors or consultanst
(or internal employees), please take it up with them.
By posting a blanket statement to a list, you're doing
a disservice to all who fit the statement and to yourself.

=====
Bill Swallow
Information Design & Development Professional
bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com - www.geocities.com/bill_swallow
Editor, InFrame Magazine <www.inframe-mag.com>
WebWorks Wizard

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/