Re: Something new to worry about

Subject: Re: Something new to worry about
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:47:58 -0500

On 2/14/01 10:33 AM, Tracy Boyington (tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org)
quoted the Borg and wrote:

>"One totally new feature is the ability to allow one XP user to take
>control of another XP user's computer through the Internet, something
>Gates said would make it a snap to diagnose and fix problems."
>
>Has Gates has bought Back Orifice?

Legitimate, and relatively secure, products such as Timbuktu, Carbon
Copy, PCAnywhere, and even the free VNC product have been doing this long
before the Back Orifice bozos released their stealth product. The
difference between the two kinds of remote control lie in one place:
whether the owner of the computer is in control of whether anyone can
control the system. Of course, this makes Bill G's "totally new feature"
comment look kind of silly.

This could be a great bonus for tech. support types, who may simply say
"Click the Let Others View My Screen button and I'll take a look at your
problem. If I can fix it, just click Give 'em Full Control and I'll be
done in a minute."

Troubleshooting sections in the online help will still be cheaper than an
online support rep, however, so our jobs are safe. For now.

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman