Web-based Tutorial Needs TOC (Cross-posted to HATT list)

Subject: Web-based Tutorial Needs TOC (Cross-posted to HATT list)
From: "Krezel, Lillian" <Lillian -dot- Krezel -at- midata-ebs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:03:59 -0500

I'm researching a problem with my current tutorial project, and
found the post below in the techwr-l archives. But no further answer.
I have exactly the same problem as the original poster. I must
produce a self-contained (not page-sensitive) tutorial for a web
application. Users will open this via a link on the navigation menu.

I originally chose to produce a .chm with RoboHTML 2000 because
of the TOC and internal link maintenance. The docs for the
software certainly do *not* make clear that you can't serve .chm
across the Web. When we ran a test -- BLAM! "Do you want to
save as an .exe?"

Can anyone provide me with more detail on how to do what
I need? I've searched the web, the HAT vendors' sites, and the
HATT list. There is a paucity of specifics.

Am I actually trying to produce a web that will be called from
another (the product) web?

Requirements
- we CANNOT load any ActiveX control or .exe onto a user's machine
- all users will be on at least IE4.x, no Netscape
- tutorial must be served from our product site
- tutorial must open in its own window, preferably another
browser instance
- tutorial must contain TOC that is always visible

Other tools available are RoboHelp "Classic" and Front Page.
Notepad for raw coding if I need to. Deadline looming, and no
budget nor learning time for anything new.

If you can shed any light on this and point me in the
right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Lili Krezel