RE: Confusion: Can you still legally download from Napster?

Subject: RE: Confusion: Can you still legally download from Napster?
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:39:26 -0800

> If the U.S. Courts denied Napster's appeal, shouldn't their website have
> shut down? Is it still legal to use it?>

It is really in the middle of a process. The 9th district appellate court
remanded (the decision) to the lower court to rewrite part of the decision.
While in terms of the whole saga, it may well be a setback to Napster, it is
not over.

It has never been illegal download from (rather using) Napster, nor will it
ever be. Voilating the IP rights of another party is and will continue to be
illegal.

The contention behind the injunction (shutting down napster) is that the
majority of traffic across Napster is copyrighted material transferred
without licensing rights.

So I guess Napster faces an uphill battle until somebody puts a GPL on Music
;-)

Richard Smith