Autonumbering Rows in Word Table

Subject: Autonumbering Rows in Word Table
From: "Jon Leer" <jleer -at- ltc -dot- mv -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:34:48 -0500

My client is used to preparing a QA document in Excel. It's easy to enter
data, and she likes the fill-down feature which allows her to automatically
number rows.

I am working on a template that will include the test data table along with
a textual report. Engineering is using Word and Excel. We've experimented
with several approaches (e.g., Word doc with linked or embedded Excel
worksheet, Excel file with embedded Word text) to consider the need for
formatted textual descriptions as well spreadsheet data that will overflow
across more than one page.

We've decided it's simplest to keep the template as a Word doc and will
simply use a Word table (landscaped for more data space) that can flow
easily to additional pages as warranted by the amount of data (this seems
impossible when using a linked Excel object).

My question to you is this: is there a simple way to automate numbering the
rows in the data table (Section 1.0; rows 1.01, 1.02, etc.; Section 2.0;
rows 2.02, 2.02, etc.)? And is there a way to make it easy to renumber if
inserting new rows? (I presume that the only way to approach this is with
something like using LISTNUM in a style.)

Ideas?

Jon Leer
Leer Technical Communications
176 S. River Rd., Bedford, NH 03110, USA
603-644-8627 (office) 603-644-8339 (fax)
603-533-7538 (cell)
Better Communication Means Better Business