Re: Software For Students

Subject: Re: Software For Students
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:43:36 -0800

"Brierley, Sean" wrote:

> [Bryan Westbrook] quoted Mr. Vonnegut thusly:
>
> "Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., who told a class of aspiring writers at
> a university to major in anything except English."

I've always assumed that Vonnegut's comments to mean that the narrow
art of dissecting a piece of writing is very different from the act
of writing itself. Possibly, too, he was implying that English
classes teach people to pose, and to fall in love with the idea of
being a writer, rather than with the idea of writing. He wouldn't be
the first professional writer to hold these views.

BTW, in freefall association, Vonnegut's comments remind me of
another writer (whose name escapes me; middle age is apparently hard
upon me today) who, when asked if universities discouraged too many
writers, replied that, unfortunately, it did not discourage enough.

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications,

"In no longer pretty cities, there are fingers in the kitties,
There are warrant forms and chitties and a jackboot on the stair,
There's sex and greed and human grime in monochrome for one thin
dime
And at least the trains all run on time - but they don't go
anywhere."
- Allan Moore, "V for Vendetta"