Re: transition from contract to full-time

Subject: Re: transition from contract to full-time
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:53:16 -0600

For me, there are still lots of contracts to be had, you just have to be more
flexible, and know a lot more then you used to. For example, 90% of my work is
Oracle-based training, and because I know Oracle and can write training materials
I'm given opportunities that wouldn't normally come my way, like stand-up training
for Forms or SQL. I've always figured I could teach writing at the college level if
my consulting practice dried up, it's handy to have collected a couple of MAs.

Unfortunately my husband has been part of several dot com wide-spread layoffs, and
since we're both pretty young we can't even begin to imagine what it was like in
Elna's time when people were laid off, evidently, left and right. Since we're young
though, we're also creative, and can come up with many different ways to make
money, just in case the whole technology market goes down the toilet.

Personally, I wouldn't go full-time unless there was some really exceptional reason
to do so. I prefer the noise and banter of, "Simon, yell to me through the laundry
chute," then the noise and banter of a flatulent, boisterous cube mate (yes, real
life contracting experience).
--
Michele

I'm an artist, and if that doesn't excuse my many
faults, I don't know what does! www.krautgrrl.com