RE: Subject: RE: Thanks and summary: RE: Urgent Help Needed! - Wo rd Doc not opening

Subject: RE: Subject: RE: Thanks and summary: RE: Urgent Help Needed! - Wo rd Doc not opening
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:41:46 -0500

That's what I did with a hex/ASCII editor, more or less. I would have
preferred Norton, but since I got the file via email rather than a diskette,
it would have been overkill anyway.

I know where you're coming from, John. In a past life, I rescued more than
my fair share of graduate theses using Norton Utilities.

The hex editor, Zap-It, can be downloaded from
http://www.elmerproductions.com. The program is freeware, but the author
appreciates receiving donations of stamps (used or not) for his collection.
I have no affiliation with this site; I'm just happy to have the hex editor.

Cheers ... Kim
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that.-- me

[snip-la]

> One of the people in the next Division over lost a file while trying
> to print. They were desperate to get the text back, and I took the
> project on just to see what I could do. Basically, I pulled out a
> copy of Norton Utilities
>
> What I'm going to refer to is on an older version of Norton, so
> utility names may have changed, been enhanced, and so on. Also,
> because I don't have a current version of the software on my machine,
> I can't verify what I'm going to suggest is going to work on machines
> running operating systems more recent than Windows 3.x.
>
> I used a utility called Text Search.

[snip-la]