RE: nitpicky word question

Subject: RE: nitpicky word question
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:14:56 -0800

Here is what the Computer Dictionary says:

MATRIX: n. An arrangement of rows and columns used for organizing related
items, such as numbers, dots, spreadsheet cells, or circuit elements.
Matrices are used in mathematics for manipulating rectangular sets of
numbers. In computing and computer applications, matrices are used for the
similar purpose of arranging sets of data in table form, as in spreadsheets
and lookup tables. In hardware, matrices of dots are used in creating
characters on the screen as well as in print (as by dot-matrix printers). In
electronics, matrices of diodes or transistors are used to create networks
of logic circuits for such purposes as encoding, decoding, or converting
information. See also grid.

It seems to me that "table" is the correct usage for documentation since the
base definition of "matrix" is a mathematical term and the secondary
definitions are extensions used by engineers.

HTH

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.