Re: Technical Test

Subject: Re: Technical Test
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:38:57 -0600

The potential problem Alan was pointing out, I believe, is not the nature of your test, but the way you, um, "grade" it. You said you pay as much attention (or more) to the way the person *handles* the test as to whether they got the correct answers. This could potentially negate any claim of objectivity on your part, especially since you said people who do well on the test are often not the best candidates. If someone who aced the test was passed over in favor of someone with a similar resume who didn't do as well on the test... well, 99 times out of 100 they either won't find out or won't care, but that #100 could rack up a lot of legal bills for you.

Ain't saying it's right or wrong, just saying it's true...

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> Andrew Plato intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> 03/01/01 01:32PM >>
Yes, it has been considered. All our positions are considered TECHNICAL
positions and therefore merit a test on TECHNICAL competence. 9 times out of 10
this test is administered over the phone, where I don't even know the person's
color, disability status, veteran status, etc. There is also no written record
of this test. The test is administered verbally as part of the interview.

It is perfectly legal to question people on their technical skill. Furthermore,
I fear a world where we are not allowed to test people's skills because of
litigation-happy lawyers.