RE: Time estimates and getting credit? (Take II)

Subject: RE: Time estimates and getting credit? (Take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:25:12 -0500

Elna Tymes provided a wise note of caution in responding to my original
post: <<Contrary to what Geoff Hart said about letting management know what
you've done, in my experience management regards statements like these as
self-aggrandizing and evidence that the person is not much of a team player.
That tends to put your name high on a list of people to get cut next time
there's a layoff.>>

As Elna notes, not every manager wants to be nagged, and even those who do
want to be kept up to speed on what you're doing (roughly 2/3 of my managers
thus far) aren't going to appreciate it if you rub their noses in your
accomplishments. So if you do choose to actively manage your manager's
knowledge of what you do, you'll have to do it with considerable tact and
subtlety, and you'll have to keep an eye on the manager's response to be
sure you're not pushing too hard.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Do I contradict myself?/ Very well, then I contradict myself,/ I am large,
I contain multitudes." -- Walt Whitman