RE: Time estimates and getting credit?

Subject: RE: Time estimates and getting credit?
From: "Jim Purcell" <jimpur -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:21:38 -0800

Andrew Plato counsels:

>You got credit, be happy. Plenty of managers would remove your name
>and present it as their own work.

Maybe I have just been incredibly lucky in my managers, but I have never
experienced one who tried to present my work as her own. In my opinion,
a manager who does that is a fool. The people who make her look so good
will find a job where they can get the recognition they deserve. The
stars will be the first ones out the door.

That is not to say that managers don't deserve to share the credit for
the work of their department. Making work possible and maximizing the
contribution of each team member is (among other things) what good
managers do. The manager's contribution isn't as concrete as doing the
actual work, but without it your success will be much harder to come by.

As Andrew says, if your manager is recognizing your contribution, be
happy. If her manager is paying attention, you will get your reward come
review time.

Jim Purcell
jimpur -at- microsoft -dot- com
My opinions, not Microsoft's