Re: Lumberg! (was Ruffled Feathers)

Subject: Re: Lumberg! (was Ruffled Feathers)
From: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:56:15 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

> > Basic respect for others would seem to
> > demand that one not act like a child
> > about rules and procedures created long
> > before one came on the scene.
>
> I don't think that's the point - to act like a child
> about established rules and procedures. I think the
> point is to defend your actions, as they are not
> governed by the current rules, and do so without
> ruffling any feathers.

Oh, and ignoring someone is not going to
ruffle feathers?

> > The advice Andrew is giving is
> > unprofessional and destructive.
> > Following it may well get you fired.
>
> Only if you take him literally.

I believe Andrew means what he says.

> > Professional respect is vital. Without
> > it, you have an office full of Andrew's,
> > which to me would be like working in a
> > nuthouse.
>
> And professional respect is one thing that this
> person's project lead is lacking.

Maybe and maybe not, but irrelevant to
one's acting with professional respect.

This person copied
> the lead in on the message out of professional
> courtesy. The lead should extend that person the same
> courtesy by not attacking without hearing the whole story.

I don't know that the poster was
attacked. He wrote that the project lead
was "miffed" and expressed that in an
e-mail. I don't know that being miffed
is equal to attacking or that the poster
regarded it as such.

Bonnie Granat