RE: "new" technical writer

Subject: RE: "new" technical writer
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:28:33 -0800

Hey, Rick:

In California, the answer is a qualified yes because I'd need to read your
background, skills, and experience to answer more specifically. However, let
me throw caution to the wind and recommend medical equipment companies and
biomedical (research) firms. A year and a half ago, when I was actively
looking for a new job, I saw online job postings from several California
med. equip. and biomed. companies. They emphasized science background and
experience over and above writing and computer skills.

These companies may be in your area. If not and they interest you, be
willing to relocate. If I had a science background, I think I'd enjoy
working for a med. equip. company. (Thankfully, I'm happy at my current
job.)

You mention you have a lot of experience in non-computer tech. writing.
Maybe you have already worked for a med. equip. or biomed. firm. If yes,
then my suggestion is to search on www.monster.com and see what results pop
up. If there's a local chapter of STC (the Society for Technical
Communication www.stc-va.org) in your area, attend a meeting and chat with
the president.

Good luck! Hang on tight to your dream, don't let anyone hinder you, go for
it, get it, and... have fun!

Jenise Cook-Crabbe
Sr. Technical Writer
Pacific Life Insurance Co.
jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com