Re: Lumberg! (was Ruffled Feathers)

Subject: Re: Lumberg! (was Ruffled Feathers)
From: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:58:50 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

> Seriously, I question everything I don't understand; I
> don't blindly follow any rule that doesn't make sense.
> It's a very stupid practice, and one that will get you
> nowhere. Ask questions and take the initiative to do
> things outside the box when it makes sense to do so.

I quite agree with you.

I had a manager once who got miffed
because I e-mailed her manager about
something without notifying her. It was
a very small matter of getting
clarification about something, but my
manager's ego was badly bruised and she
was, in my opinion, reacting far too
strongly for the incident to have really
been about anything at work.

I was, as we say, "spoken to".

I looked at her (I know it was
incredulously) and said I was sorry,
assuring her that I did not mean to
exclude her, and so forth.

I went away thinking she was being
absurd, but then concluded she had some
inner conflict having nothing to do with
work and was using this as a convenient
target on which to project her fears and
her anger. Henceforth I never trusted
her.

Bonnie Granat